Fly Fishing Tips from Harry Murray
Listen to Harry Murray’s Fly Fishing Tips where he will be discussing various trout and bass tips.
- His favorite fly rods for fishing the large trout streams in the Rockies as well as the western spring creeks. He explains just what he uses these rods for and the size flies he uses on each one.
- Using a line hand strike for bass fishing
- Quantity of flies in a fly box vs. effective flies
- Fishing the trico hatch and his ploy for fishing some easier trout than one often encounters on this hatch
- The value of using hand tied compound knotted leaders for both trout and bass (read our article on knotted leaders vs. knotless leaders)
- Tactics he uses when floating the rivers for smallmouth bass that help him catch many bass from each section of the river.
- Two tactics he uses to catch carp in the river (olive marauder)
- Night fishing for smallmouth bass
- Fishing the tails of the pools at dusk when he finds bass chasing minnows in the shallow water–tactics and flies to use (Floating Minnows)
- Tips for fishing for bass against the banks under overhanging tree limbs and fishing the ledges with madtom sculpins
In September Harry will be conducting two Fly Casting & Rigging 101 Classes that will help you learn or improve your casting techniques. On our casting lawn, he will teach you how to perform all of the standard casts as well as roll casts, curve casts, and shooting line. After the casting class you will then proceed back to the fly shop where he will show you how to rig your tackle including the knots to use when putting your line and backing on a fly reel. We provide the rod and reel outfits for you to use for the class or if you prefer you can bring your own.